Thursday, May 22, 2008

This is almost funny... almost.

So Caden and I went to the pediatrician this morning. His gunky eyes (started yesterday) are a result of congestion, and it's nothing to worry about. They took labs of CBC and CMS (or something like that) which he didn't like at all. They should have the results of those later today. We are going to have to give him chest PT during the treatments to help him break it up and cough it up. We go back the 4th to see what his xrays look like.

So, I went to Walgreens to pick out the pulmozyme and while in the drive-thru, the technician buzzed over the radio, saying that she wanted to clear something with me real quick. She informed me that the drug was covered by our insurance, but our portion of the cost was $1,600 something. It really doesn't matter about the other 50 bucks or whatever the total actually is. How do they expect people to pay for this stuff??? Even if you could afford that, that's just ridiculous. I can't help but laugh.

It's not like we've shelled out three grand this year or anything. :) I told Paul if this keeps up, there is no way that we couldn't go on Medicaid. We are technically a family of four now, so the income would change. I don't know. What do you guys think? The way Paul's mom put it, is that between all of his grandparents and step-grandparents (he has 13 if you count greats) they have paid in tons of money throughout their lives, and she, at least, is happy for it to go towards Caden. I see her point. I am seriously considering that. I would probably go crazy staying at home, but we have to really weigh our options. It would be worth it in the long run for Caden's development and health as well. Keeping him away from germs at daycare. We will have to seriously discuss this option.

The doctor is on the phone right now with pharmaceutical companies seeing what we can do, and if we can get some samples or something. That was only for a 14 day supply! I can't imagine. Hopefully they will come up with something else.

I am going to go over to daycare on my lunch breaks and give him his treatments. Hopefully these treatments work. My mom was saying that if we have to pay that, that we might be better off in the hospital. I don't know about that, but hey, whatever. We'll see how things go.

I'll let you know what the doctor says about the pulmozyme.

Thanks!

1 comment:

Megan said...

I know it sucks, but you may be better off staying home. We have had to make many adjustments to stay under the income guidelines. It is not fair that the system works that way. I think it is almost like they punish us for having a job and trying to do the right thing. I thought I would go crazy when I first started staying home, but now I can't even imagine going back to work. :)
How's Caden feeling??
Thinking of you guys always
Megan