Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Caden's sick

So, right now Paul is at the doctor with Caden and he just texted to say that his sats are 93. I know that's not bad, but he has been doing this coughing thing for about a month now. It's only at night, mostly, but sometiems he just coughs and coughs. It really worries me. He was doing it for about a week. It was getting a little bit worse as time went on. He spent the night over at his Grandma and Grandpa's house last Sunday night, the 11th, and she was saying that she was really worried about the coughing. It seems like it has gotten worse and worse from then on out. That Monday night, I put the humidifier in the room with him, and he didn't cough once. I thought we had fixed it. Well, that was great until... Saturday night. He coughed a little bit, right around 5:30 am, and woke up early. Of course, he's been sleeping a lot more than usual because he's not sleeping well at night. Or it could be something more.

Update:

Paul called me to say that he may be going into congestive heart failure, and so (obviously) I left work. Our pediatrician wants Caden to go to the cardiologist (if not the hospital), because the xrays are not looking very good. His heart is enlarged, which it usually is on xrays, and he has a substantial dark area on his left lung. It could be several things, but the radiologist pretty much ruled out pneumonia. The doctor sent us home with a nebulizer and the treatment drops and we waited for the cardiologist to call. She called around 3:30 and we made an appointment for tomorrow at 4:15. She is going to look at those xrays and perform an echo (which he HATES) and she will make the decision on whether or not to admit him. Her office is actually in the hospital building, so that's good at least. The doctors so far are thinking that maybe he has asthma, which is why they gave us the nebulizer. If that is the case, we should be seeing improvements within 2-3 days. I am hoping that that is all. Paul and his brother both had pretty bad asthma as children, that they eventually grew out of. When he got his first treatment, he screamed, so I know that this is not going to be fun.

We had a trip planned to San Francisco this weekend, and I am not sure if that is going to happen or not. I really don't want to leave him at all if he is feeling this way. There is no question if he goes into the hospital that we will not go. That stinks too. Paul and I never went on a honeymoon and have never been on a real trip together. We got married 10 days before his first surgery, so that knocked that out of the water.

I will keep you all updated throughout the next couple of days.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Oh, I really hate to hear that. We are praying!!
Did they suggest giving an extra dose of lasix? I always give Bella one when I suspect she may be going into CHF. Usually if it is CHF, the lasix will help for awhile. I hope it is something that can be medically managed, you know a quick up the dose of something fix. Are the nebulizers helping?? Sorry I don't mean to ask so many questions....I guess it is just the nurse in me. I think after all we have been through with Bella, I have learned to weigh out all information and formulate my own "opinion" on what medical treatment Bella needs. Make the Dr. listen to you tomorrow and if you feel like they are not, you can always go to CMH for a second opinion. We will be praying for you and thinking of you. Let us know.
Love and Prayers!!
Megan
p.s. I really hope you get to go on your honeymoon, you guys deserve it.

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

So, my inital response to reading the post was...allergies. Kaden has them REALLY bad. Then I kept reading. I pray that it is not CHF. Life is so crazy. What will they do for that if it is? I am so worried about you guys. Stay strong and I will be checking tomorrow for some news. I hope you are right, and it is something minor. Like Megan said, if you want a second opinion there is always CMH.

Thinking of you and praying really hard,
Amy

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

Thinking about you guys.

Megan said...

I have checked your blog like 4,000 times today (yes I am a blog stalker). Anyways, I just now realized his appointment is at 4:15 So we are thinking of you and praying that all is well.