Thursday, May 22, 2008

Now I'm REALLY laughing!

Paul's step-brother-in-law is a pharmacist, so he called him. Our doctor has been on the phone all day talking with drug companies, trying to get samples and what-not. Well, Paul's "brother" said that there is another medicine that is rarely used, but essentially does the same thing. It's called Mucomyst, and it clears out the mucous and gunk out of the lungs. There is a generic of that one (the pulmozyme doesn't have a generic) and it's called acetylcysteine. What's really interesting, is that he said that it is actually used for an overdose of Tylenol. I'm pretty sure that's what he said. Isn't that weird??? He also said that since it's so rarely prescribed, doctors don't usually think about it first as a pulmonary drug. Well, I called the doctor, and told his nurse about it, and she said she would tell him, but it may not be an option, because the pulmonologist specifically said pulmozyme.

These are too big of words, my fingers and my brain aren't working together very well. :)

So, she called me back like 5 minutes later and she said that she told him, and that he said that would be an option if we could not get samples and what-not. She just called, about 10 minutes ago. She said that they were unable to obtain enough samples, but she did go ahead and fax over the prescription that Pat had recommended. She had good news and bad.

Bad: They do not have in stock.
Insurance does not cover it.

Good: They can have it tomorrow by 1:00.
Without insurance it's $30.

I can't believe that. Way to go Paul! I am so happy, I could do a dance right here. Good thinking calling him first. I'm so excited. For the first time in a long time, I feel like "the system" is being manipulated by us instead of "them." I feel like such an advocate. :) Isn't that insane???

Awww, my sweetie's fighting the system. :) That's funny.

Caden's feeling okay. He is taking the treatments a lot better. I think it just scared him at first. He's getting used to it and he was actually laughing at the other kids today when I went to give it to him. He's such a sweetie... and a trooper too! His coughing is a little bit better just by using the xopenex. It will apparently be fine for him to wait till tomorrow to start the other medication. I am really not too worried about it, because he seems to be breathing a lot better now. I am so proud of little man. Forget the walking, this is great!!! Maybe this is what I needed to snap out of the "walking fixation." Who cares if he walks or not. I'm proud of him either way.

Thank you all. I think we are going to make a decision tonight on whether or not we are going to San Fran. We'll let you know!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Okay, I think I am loosing it....I swear I already commented on this post!! I probably didn't publish it or something crazy like that. Anyways....AWESOME about the price of the different drug. I am so glad Paul made that call. Also I am glad Caden is doing better with his treatments. We are praying everything helps and that in two weeks when he gets another x-ray his little lungs look 100% better.
Love and Prayers Always
Megan