Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Okay...

So my mom went with me and Caden to the cardiologist. I was freaking out all day, and I was really worried... understandably. Well, I'll start off with the good news. His heart is fine. I looks pretty much like it did in December, the last time we went to see her. She doesn't want to see him for the heart for another 6 months. Which, by the way, is amazing. I was so worried for the last month, and that just makes me feel so much better. You know, she says that he can go 6 months, but the real question is: Can I? I worry so much. It's a mom thing, right?

Well, when he was in the hospital, his right upper lobe in his lung collapsed. They say that's common in babies that are intubated for a long time. Well, the right upper lobe looks okay now, but the middle lobe is collapsed now. And it's significant. It sounds (and looks) like it's the whole middle lobe. So, we are going to the pediatrician tomorrow morning to get a prescription for pulmozyme, which I think is a commonly prescribed medicine for cystic fibrosis to help clear thick mucous. We are continuing with the nubulizer treatments. The medicine we are using for that is xopenex. It's pretty easy to use, except for the fact that he fights you about it. He hates it, and it's not like it hurts him or anything.

We are going to the doctor in the morning for that medicine and information, and then we are going back in two weeks to get another xray. If things look better, then we will either continue or stop the treatment. If things look the same, we will be admitted and they will want to do a bronch to manually remove the mucous. Eeeeeek!!! That's sounds painful. Of course, he would be put to sleep, but still. We would request to go to KC for that if it came down to it, because I really don't care much for the pediatric pulmonologist here. She is the only one in Kansas, if you can believe that. Well, that's what they told me, anyway. Maybe there is another one... hopefully. Also, considering his other complications, I would want him there if something happened instead of the crappy Wichita hospital.

Well, assuming all things go according to plan (crossing my fingers) he should be better in a couple of weeks. She did say that if he seems really tired or like he is not getting any better, or if he gets any worse, we need to take him to the hospital.

It feels like we can never get out of the woods. I really appreciate all of you reading, thinking and praying for Caden/us.

Thank you, and we will keep you posted.

Ashlea

P.S. I forgot to say that she did up all of his doses of medications, except the aspirin regimen he's on. He has gained a little weight since his last appointment, so she went up. He weighed 20 lbs, 4 oz. Considering he is 18 months old, and he weight 9 lbs, 12 oz at birth, that's not a lot. Oh boogie...

2 comments:

Megan said...

I am so glad it is not his heart!!!! Sucks that his lung collapsed. :( Weird, most people would totally freak out about it, but heart moms are just thankful "it's not the heart!!" Yes, a collapsed lung is serious, but easier to manage. I was worried sick all day about you guys. Hoping and praying that the medicine and nebulizer treatments do the trick.
Love and Prayers
Megan

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

Good news about the heart...but the lung thing is scary. I think it is kind of funny that Megan talked about heart moms being happy that it's not the heart, but having both a heart baby and a lung baby it makes me worried either way. I hope the nebulizer treaments work and that he gets use to them so he won't fight it so much. Good luck.

Amy