Monday, November 3, 2008

Cardiologist

Caden goes today to the cardiologist. Since I have to miss half a day of work tomorrow, Paul is trying to convince me that he can do it by himself. Well, I believe that both of them will survive, but if any of you have ever been through an ECHO with a near 2 year old, it's not fun! I'm hoping that this time, he handles it better than the last few times. He just hates that goop all over him, and she has to push that wand thing into that dip his collar bone, pointing down, to see the top of his heart. That's usually the last thing they do, but let me tell you, it's the grand finale.

The appointment starts at 3:30, but first they have to weigh him, and she comes in to ask a bunch of questions... ie: "does he pass out, does he sweat a lot, does he seem to be sleeping more than usual..." Yada yada yada. I know that some parents may not pay too close attention to that stuff, but you bet your butt if he started showing signs of heart failure, I'd be in there before his normal appointment was scheduled!!!

Anyway, then she has to listen to him, feel for his liver, push on his chest a bit (not hard), blah blah blah. Then we go to a different room, where they pull out the ancient TV and VCR. The nurse gives him an EKG, the doctor comes in a few minutes later, looks at it, then turns off the lights to do the actual ECHO. Well, Caden might not take it so bad if he didn't have to watch the same Barney video over and over again. But, last time we remembered his blankie, and he did better having that to rub on his face. He just hates to lay there so still for that long. Usually by the time they're done with the EKG and the ECHO, it's been about an hour or so of him laying there. That's not easy for any of us, especially Caden!

I haven't decided if I'm going to leave a little bit early today or not. Maybe if I take a really short lunch, then it'll make up for it. The ECHO won't start till 4:00-ish, so if I leave at 4, then I'll only miss one hour today. Then I'll miss three hours tomorrow. Maybe nothing else will come up the rest of this week. Cross your fingers for us!!!

2 comments:

HeartMom said...

Hope all goes well...

Cindy said...

How did it go at the cardiologist?