Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Therapy

I spoke too soon. Caden's kinda sick. Ok, he's sick. He's got this cough (that he gave to me) and if he feels like what I have felt like, I understand why he's been crabby. Poor guy... can't he get a rest?!?! I thought that with the warmer weather, he would start having longer periods of "health."

I have mentioned before that we have an awesome therapist, Sarah, who come to the house to see Caden. Well, she comes every other week, and she always has new things to try and teach us. I really do feel fortunate to have her coming to the house, and I was thinking this morning that if she wouldn't have come, I don't know how far Caden would have gotten by now.

When she first started coming, (May 14th, 2007) our goals for Caden were to hold his head up, eat by mouth, and roll over. He couldn't do ANY of that. Now look at him! It hasn't even been a year. I think that(in terms of developement) we should consider that a starting point instead of his actual birthday. Everyone always says how "behind" he is and all that, but if you remember that he essentially started all this less than a year ago, that would mean that he's quite advanced, huh?

Before I started my new job, I was always the one there when Sarah came. Now Paul's there. We talked a lot before about if she really needed to continue coming. I think Paul "gets" it now. That she is benefitting him a lot.

Anyway, she was saying yesterday when she came out, that Caden needs to be more independent. I guess I never thought about it, but we baby him. She said that we need to be working on not getting him everything he needs, and letting him go get his drink when he needs one, or letting him go get his binky if he needs it. I guess I just did it without thinking. He points to stuff that he wants, if that gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

She mentioned that he will be two before we know it and he needs to be more independent. I got a glimpse into what an outsider would see. I'm terrified to think that Caden's a "baby" or a "sissy" I guess you would say. Not that I don't want him to be a momma's boy or anything. :)

I always thought that I would be the stern parent and teach the kids responsibility at an early age and all. Now I feel like I'm not. I don't want to be a hard-ass or anything, but I don't want to be a push over either. He does know that he can make us do whatever he wants... hold him constantly, push him in the wagon for hours (seriously) hand him the toys that he wants, let him play with my remote even though he has his own (which he does, that Paul got from work for him). I don't know.

Then it's like, he doesn't feel good, so I don't want to neglect him if he wants me to hold him all day. I know how nice it was when I was little and didn't feel good when my mom laid with me. I just don't know where to draw the line.

Any suggestions would be wonderful!

2 comments:

leasoup said...

Well, you know how qualified I AM to give parenting advice...so take it leave it :)
Maybe you could do a little of both? And from each of you, Paul and yourself. Give some, make him do some, back and forth? Sounds simple, right?! Ha ha, the joke's on me, I'm sure. Anyway, Caden is a smart, beautiful, strong little guy and he'll end up just fine. You both are conscientious parents. I hope he gets to feeling better soon (and you too!!). Love you guys!

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

I hope Caden starts feeling better soon.

As for your parenting...I am the same way. I still baby Kaden. I know that there is a point where you have to draw the line...BUT they are only little once. With everything that they have gone through, it is kind of hard to let them be more independent. I think you guys are doing a wonderful job. You said it yourself, he is catching up and doing things he wasn't not too long ago. He is still very young, so I wouldn't be too worried about his need for the two of you yet. I guess it doesn't hurt to start little by little.

Thinking of you,
Amy

By the way...it's nice having a momma's boy!!!