Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I was able to get Caden in today, at 3:00. I'm starting to think that everything will be okay. I got home last night, and we went to the Chiropractor. He did fine there, just a little bit clammy. Not at all how he had been for the past week or two. It was also not as hot yesterday as it has been, either. Hmmm... I hate this!

After we got home, I got him down to his diaper. Partly cause he was trying to go potty so often, and partly cause we were eating spaghetti and I didn't want him to get it all over him. Well, he was naked for about 30 minutes. He wasn't clammy after that, and I tried to take his temp. I tried under his arm, but he didn't want it like that, so I told him I'd have to take it in his butt. (He knows that word, and thinks it's hilarious) So, he let me. (Paul was very concerned about this... LOL) It was 99.0 when he was completely naked (ok, diaper), and had been for about 30 minutes. I'm starting to think maybe he has had a low grade fever for a week or so, he was working on his two year molars, as well as having a little cough. He might have been clammy as a result of the warmer weather, a cold and his teeth. I think I over analyze things... you think?

Some information that I'm not sure if I shared before. Because Caden was born almost 10 pounds, his heart was significantly larger than normal Truncus babies. Usually Truncus babies are born smaller, because of growth issues in the womb. Usually, not always. We were lucky. Some Truncus babies don't get to 10 pounds until they are a few months old... much less at birth. During his first surgery, they were able (gathered from his medical records) to fit him with a 19mm conduit from his heart to his lungs. A lot of times, they are only able to fit up to 9-10mm, but we were lucky that his heart was already so big...

I have researched conduit size since then, and I have found that "adult" size is considered to be anywhere from 20mm-30mm. That's a whole centimeter difference, but if you think about it, there are small adults, and large adults. The way I think about it, he has a 19mm in right now. (They didn't change it during his second open heart surgery, they just repaired where he ripped his patch back open.) If he grows as scrawny as his dad and I did, that should last him till he's a pre-teen, maybe??? The main concern for me, is that his conduit will start to calcify. That's the reason that it needs to be replaced sometimes, is because it's been in for so long.

I will definitely post sometime tonight or tomorrow with the results from today's cardiology appointment. I am going to ask her about the conduit size and calcification, just to understand it a little bit better. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers, I will be in touch soon.

Ashlea

No comments: