Tuesday, September 9, 2008

More Medication

Caden just went to the doctor with Dad. They had to take xrays, cause he has been breathing pretty hard for a couple of days. He has been teething for a few weeks, and he has all four of his pointy teeth coming in. You can see them all, and he is slobbering and his nose is running and he had a 99.4 temp last Friday. That's really low, so I figured it was related to teething. I think it was, cause he hasn't had a fever since. At least it wasn't high enough for me to want to check it. He started with a little cough on Saturday, and a really runny nose, but it was watery-clear, so again, no infection or anything. I thought that while he was sleeping, his nose was draining down his throat and congesting him. Well, Sunday was about the same, but not any worse.

Monday I was at work, and Paul called to say that Caden had a hard time falling asleep for nap. He was kinda cranky all day. (Caden, not Paul :) ) Well, by the time I got home from work last night, he was having very labored breathing and not really too much of a runny nose. He didn't have a fever or feel warm unless he was crying, which doesn't count in my book.

So, we gave him a breathing treatment of a safer form of albuterol that we had left over from when his lung collapsed a few months ago. That helped sooo much. We put him to bed, and he slept fine until about 2:00. He woke up, so we brought him into our room, and he was coughing a bit (it sounded horrible) and unless he was in a deep sleep, he was having very labored breathing. Paul called this morning to make an appointment with our pediatrician, and they tried to get him at 1:30. Paul told them who Caden was and his "issues" and they were able to squeeze him in at 9:30. Go figure. At least we get VIP status somewhere... and where better?

His sats were 96... YAY!!! Well, they then gave him a breathing treatment and took an xray. The first one didn't take, so they had to put him in that horrid xray contraption again. He got really mad and started thrashing. He busted his lip and was bleeding all over the xray machine. The nurse said that no one had ever done that before. Of course not. Caden's job is to do all the "firsts".

He has a little area of (not pneumonia) infiltrate in his right upper lobe. Same place he had it when he was in the hospital. So Paul's at Walgreen's as I type this. He's getting a broad-spectrum antibiotic, Xopenex (albuterol), Mucomyst (same as in May), and some other steroid that Paul didn't know how to spell. The Dr. said that his lungs don't look nearly as bad as they did in May, so that's great news. I'm so glad we decided to take him in when we did. Paul said he was in a great mood this morning. That always happens. We are nipping it in the bud, and I am happy about that. Any hint of anything and I freak out, but that's okay. We are going to Denver on the 20th. Go figure! Every time we go out of town, he gets some lung issue. At least the insurance company purchased the nebulizer last time, so we don't have to rent one. When we gave him that treatment last night, he had the mask pressed all the way to his face, and he didn't even cry. It was like he knew it was going to help him. He's such a sweetie. I can't wait till he can talk to me, and tell me what hurts, or that he can't breathe. But then again, I'll be wishing that he couldn't talk yet. :)

We are supposed to carry on for 4-5 days, and call the doctor with an update. I think we finally found a doctor that agrees with us, and takes us as seriously as we should be taken. I like him a lot, and am very comfortable with his treatment plan. That always helps. He knows that we don't call unless we really feel we need to, so I think that helps.

On a more positive note, Caden now tries to sing his ABC's. If you start singing it, he'll start dancing and he'll sing it himself. None of the letters are right, but he has the melody down, and you can definitely tell what he's singing. It's very cute.

4 comments:

leasoup said...

I'm glad to hear he's feeling better after a few breathing treatments and the medicine. Thinking of him with the little mask on his face...awwww. I hope he feels okay to go to Denver next weekend! I am dying to see all you guys, but especially Caden since he has changed so much since the last time we saw him - teeth, talking, walking - whew, it's amazing :) I love you all, SEE YOU SOON!

Cindy said...

Hope Caden feels better soon! Sounds like it was good that you took him in and didn't wait.

Cindy Green

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

I hope that Caden gets better really soon. I know a lot of junk is going around. I am now getting over some yucky stuff...I don't know if it is allergies are what, but I have had a nasty cough for almost two weeks now. I am glad you took him into the doctor when you did and that things didn't look as bad as last time. So is Caden going with you guys to Denver???

Take care

My Three Sons said...

Hello, I came across your blog through Kaden and Angel Ava. I'm all to familiar with Xopenex. My two year old has severe asthma, reflux, and aspirates when he eats and drinks. He is actually on Xopenex right now. I thin it is so much easier for him than abuteral. He gets real jittery when I give him abuteral. Anyways, I hope your little Caden recovers quickly. I know how hard it is not just on him but on mommy and daddy as well.

Stop by and say hi sometime,

Kaci